Because October is the spookiest month of the year, we decided to share with you some of the worst mistakes homeowners can make when it comes to hardwood flooring. Check out these examples of “hardwood horrors” and learn why you should leave it to Flooring Professionals to get the job done right!
1. Being impatient: Not leaving enough time between refinishing your hardwood and moving furniture in is a very common mistake that homeowners make, especially when they are in a pinch to get all moved in. The typical time for finishing hardwood is about 3-5 days and another 4 or 5 days until the space can be lived in.
2. Going cheap: Often times, the cheapest installation company or flooring dealer will not be the best! Simply looking for the cheapest option can go terribly wrong, especially with hardwood flooring. You want quality work and materials that will last you a long time.
3. Out of order: There is an order to everything, even when the time comes to paint your walls and finish your floors. The general rule of thumb is that flooring should be done before you go in to paint walls, install cabinets, etc. It is easier to work around hardwood that is already finished, rather than trying to install and finish the floor around everything else.
4. Wrong flooring care: Make sure to get expert floor care advice from your local Flooring Professional so your hardwood lasts longer! Some products out there will only temporarily make your hardwood look nice but will cause the finish to wear faster, ultimately costing you more money when you have to refinish the floors sooner.
5. Following a fad: Although this “mistake” is a matter of opinion, it makes sense to consider choosing a classic type of hardwood flooring that will be in style for years to come. Choosing a current flooring trend might seem like a good idea at the time, but you will most likely have to replace or re-stain the floors sooner when the trend goes out of style.
6. DIY: Installing and finishing hardwood flooring should be considered an art form because it is really a skill that needs to be mastered. If you have never worked with hardwood flooring before, or if you have tried and failed, just leave it to the pros: it will save you time, money, and sanity!
To find the closest preferred Flooring Professional to you, visit flooring-professionals.com and check out more of our resources for tips and advice!